It’s finally starting to get warm here in the northeast! In celebration, today we are going to talk about 10 ways to spring clean in order to sell. Go over these tips with your seller and watch the buyers flock to your gorgeous, clean listing!
- Wash those windows (inside and out). A bright home looks inviting, so make sure all of the windows are clear and clean. Then show them off by opening the curtains and blinds. Make a quick cleaning solution by mixing one part vinegar with eight parts water and a drop of dishwashing soap. Spray on and wipe with newspaper for a streak-free shine.
- Clean those baseboards! These often-neglected areas tend to attract dirt and dust. So make sure to clean them with soapy water. Dust first to make the job easier and then use a Q-tip to get into the corners. Quick tip: wipe them down with a dryer sheet once they are dry. This will help them from gathering extra dust for a little while.
- Don’t ignore your oven. Deep clean the inside with a heavy duty oven cleaner. Make sure to clean any food stains from your stove as well.
- Freshen your bathroom. Open your bathroom windows and go to town. After an entire winter of limited air flow, your bathroom (and family!) will enjoy the fresh air. Make sure to scrub away soap scum and mildew. Get into the grout and deep clean every tile. Remember to remove bathtub toys before any potential buyers come through.
- Dust your ceiling fans. Dust gathers on the blades, so make sure to get it all. The last thing you want is for a potential buyer to test a fan and get showered with an entire winter season’s dust. Tip: Use a pillow case to clean the blades and trap the dust in the process.
- Shampoo your carpets. Clean carpets will definitely make your home more appealing to potential buyers. You can rent a carpet cleaner or hire someone to do it. If you have stains, check out this tip and iron them away (full disclosure, we have not tested this method ourselves, but it looks awesome!).
- Wash the walls. Yes, you heard us right, wash them. We recommend using a Magic Eraser to do the job. Showing day tip: don’t spot clean the day of a showing, it will make the surrounding parts of the wall look dingy.
- Don’t forget about your entrance! Sweep your entry way, spruce up your garden by pruning plants and trees, and wash your door windows. If it’s in the budget, give your front door a fresh coat of paint.
- Along that same vein, make sure the rest of your yard is cleaned up as well. Clean your gutters, pick up any tree branches, and sweep away any left over salt from your sidewalks.
- Clear the clutter. This is an absolute must. De-clutter your home so potential buyers aren’t distracted by your stuff and can focus on their future home. Plus, decluttering now will make moving later much easier. Check out this Ridiculously Thorough Guide to Decluttering Your Home.
So how do you spring clean to sell? Share your tips in the comment section!