At Keller Williams, we believe that health and wellness are a top priority. We desire for every one of our agents to be healthy, happy, and full of energy. In light of this, we will be sharing wellness tips every Wednesday on our blog!
Today’s Wellness Wednesday focus: Jogging
Have you ever been driving home after work, seen a runner trotting down the road, and thought, “I wish I had the discipline to do that”? Well, this post is for you, then! Today we’re talking about jogging.
There are a ton of benefits to starting up a regular jogging routine, here are just a few of them:
- Improve your bones. Jogging provides the gentle stress on your bones that is necessary to strengthen them – greatly reducing your risk of osteoporosis later in life.
- Heart health. Jogging helps prevent hypertension and heart disease by strengthening your heart and lowering your cholesterol.
- Stress relief. The act of jogging combats stress by releasing endorphins such as norepinephrane, serotonin, and dopamine.
- Weight control. Exercise will help you control your weight, and jogging is a form of exercise.
You don’t have to be able to run three miles to start. Even if jogging for one block is a stretch, you can still become a regular jogger. All it takes is practice, patience, and perseverance. Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Time block. Put time in your schedule to run. Write it in pen, not pencil, so you can;t erase it. Schedule it and stick to your plan.
- Don’t go too far or too fast right away. The goal is not to burn yourself out or get an injury. Start with a 20 minute jog and remember that it is ok to jog/walk/jog/walk when you’re first getting started.
- Focus on minutes, not miles. Celebrate the extra two minutes you were able to jog before you slowed to a walk! The miles will come eventually, we promise.
- Motivate yourself by signing up for a 5k. Having a goal to reach (in this case, completing a 3.1 mile long race) will give you that extra push to get out and pound the pavement.